Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Summoning

The summoning circle required a lot of preparation. According to the book, it's not necessary for the summoning, but it makes things safer. That's why I used 5 different circles. The innermost one was done in my own blood. Around that circle was a circle of salt, then a circle of powdered iron and a circle of powdered silver, which Hideaki helped me get my hands on. The final circle was a bunch of drawings. Symbols I had found in the book. Symbols of safety, peace, restraint. Shit like that. Stuff I thought might be useful.
Preal, Keursio, Hideaki, and Moss were all there with me. I told them they didn't have to come, but they insisted. Especially Keursio. She flat out refused to let me do this alone.
So, in the dead of night, in the desert, with no one else around, I got to work. I lit the candles, spilled some of my blood  on a drawing of his symbol in the center of the circles, and did everything else the book said to do. It was all just precautions. All you really need to do to summon a Daemon is call. If it hears, it may or may not answer.
I began the chant.
“Kaitaea Venasco,” I said. “Ia Specto. Mearla Miatischo. Xialv Partra Verda.”
The candle's began flickering, and the cold night air grew warmer. It was working. I raised my voice and continued.
“Gregalla Beralta! Krifallo Nigrass! Azail! Hiralto Brigrial Herahn!”
The candles erupted into raging infernos, lighting up the dark night. The circles began glowing brightly. The symbol of Azail in the center vanished, and in its place, a small crimson rift opened, and smoke billowed forth from it. The smoke took form, sort of resembling the shape of a more or less human body, and two eyes appeared. The sclera were brown, and they each had a slit-like pupil. I had done it. I had summoned one of the Daemon lords.
“Why have you called me here, Anthony,” the cloud of smoke asked.
“How do you know my name?” I asked.
“Answer my question,” it said, this time in a more demanding tone.
The clouds of smoke briefly obscured the eyes, and when I could see them again, they had rotated, so that the slit pupils were horizontal instead of vertical. I gulped, and gripped my bokken tightly.
“You are Azail, the Enabler, right?” I asked.
“Yes,” it said.
“You are suspected in the disappearance of at least two people,” I said. “Drake Thorne, and the mother of Gray Nicholas. What do you know about them?”
A sound came form the cloud of smoke. I think it might have been the Daemon's laughter. The candles and the circles both grew dimmer. As they did, the figure of smoke became somewhat more solid. Closer to a human shape then before. The smoke obscured the eyes again, almost like a blink, and when they became visible, they had vertical pupils again.
“You are a fool,” Azail said. “Summoning me just to ask such a simple question.”
It raised one of its smoky hands and snapped its fingers. However, instead of making a regular finger snapping sound, it created a resonating screech, which exploded outward, snuffing the candles out, and causing the glowing circles to disappear entirely.  The smoke figure now became completely solid, and Azail the Enabler stood before me, in all his hellish glory.
He was 8 feet tall, and some change. His bangs were long, and parted so that they framed his deeply tanned face. The rest of his hair was shorter, and untamed. His eyes rotated with every blink. His mouth was somewhat larger then a normal humans. His ears, barely visible behind his hair, were small, and pointy. He was dressed in black and brown, very baggy clothing, and he was draped in a long, dusty cloak. His hands both ended in four clawed fingers, and his feet, lacking any covering, were scarred and bruised, with sharp claws of their own.
He towered over me, a testament of true, demonic power. Those circles had been meant to hold back his power, so only a fraction of his essence would be summoned here. But they had proved useless. I understood now that power like his couldn't be contained.
Hideaki charged forward, with his daito in hand, and slashed at Azail. Azail simply raised a hand and caught the blade, without even flinching. He held it there, examining it for a moment.
“This sword was forged by Goro Masamune,” he said. It wasn't a question. He was stating it as fact. “I remember him. A good swordsmith. A good student.”
That took me by surprise. The book said that Azail was a smith, but that he had trained Masamune himself was saying something. Azail drew a long dagger from his belt and swung it at the blade of Hideaki's sword. I was expecting a clang of steel or something, but instead, the knife just passed through the daito like air, and when Azail moved his hand a bit, most of the blade came off where he had cut it.
“He was never quite as good as me, though,” Azail said.
He then waved his hand, and Hideaki was blown aside by some invisible force. Moss drew his gun and fired, hitting Azail in the face. Although his head was jerked sideways by the force, he showed no signs of damage or pain. He turned to glare at Moss.
“Don't do that,” he growled.
Moss fired again, but it did just as much good as the first time.
“Stop it,” Azail said.
Another shot.
“That's getting annoying,” Azail said.
Moss shot him in the face one more time.
“Enough!” Azail snapped, knocking Moss aside with that same force.
He then turned back to me. As he did, he seemed to notice Keursio a few feet behind me. He turned and addressed her.
“Hello, Witch,” he said.
He turned back to me.
“You believe I kidnapped these people?” he asked me.
I gripped my bokken tightly and said “I haven't ruled it out.”
“And what if I told you your assumption was wrong?” he asked.
“C-can you lie?” I asked him.
“Of course I can,” he said “I am not Fae, I am Daemon. I am perfectly capable of deceit.”
“Then why should I believe that you weren't involved?” I asked.
“I never said I'm not involved,” he said. “I'm simply saying that I did not kidnap them.”
“Then where are they?” I demanded, screwing my courage together.
“Do not make orders of me,” Azail said. Though he was calm, I could feel the hatred in his words. “You are lucky I haven't already killed you for having the gall to bring me here.”
I gulped.
“Then, please, can you tell me where they are?” I asked.
“I can,” he said “But I shall not. All I will say is that you are not the only mortal foolish enough to conjure upon the Lords.”
So that's it then. Someone else, probably a human cultist, was responsible, and he was somehow involved with the Daemon Lords, or at least one of them. At least, I think that's what Azail meant.
Azail began to dissolve into smoke again. He was leaving.
“Wait!” I said. “I still have questions!”
“None of which I have time or patience to answer,” Azail said.
I'm not sure what exactly went through my head at that moment, but I pulled the piece of chain from my pocket and held it up to him.
“At least tell me what this thing is!” I said. “It was found in Drake's bedroom, and another was found by Gray.”
Azail just gave it a questioning glance before responding.
“That is just a simple trinket I forged,” his voice resounded, as he continued to fade away. “A Luck Chain. A broken one. Completely useless.”
He disappeared completely, but his voice rang out one last time before fading completely.
“I will leave you in peace today,” He said. “But if you call me again, my presence will not come cheap.”
And with that, he was gone. Moss and Hideaki are okay, albeit a bit shaken, and Preal was scared shitless by the whole ordeal. Keursio has been silent since Azail spoke to her.
I now have more questions then answers. I'm gonna get some sleep, then I'm making some phone calls. Hopefully someone will have a lead.
Also, there's something else I've been considering. Azail mentioned that I was lucky he didn't kill me. That got me thinking; maybe that Luck Chain isn't as broken as he thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment