Friday, July 3, 2015

Kay

“This is it,” Tony said.
We had arrived in front of Demetri Monroe's house.
“So, what now?” I asked.
“Jack wants you to put him out of commission,” Tony said.
“Won't be easy,” Said a voice. “He's out of town, on business.”
I spun around to see a man, in his late twenties, mere feet from us.
“I'm sorry, Mr. Ferris,” he said. “I didn't mean to startle you.”
I summoned my sword to my hand and drew it.
“How do you know my name?” I demanded.
“How can I not?” the man asked. “You were sent by Jack, you say?”
“Who's asking?” I said.
“You may call me Kay,” he said. “I'd tell you my full name, but like you, I understand the value of a low profile.”
I became aware of something stirring inside the breast pocket of my jacket. I found myself wondering why he'd wake up now.
“You said Mr. Monroe's away on business,” tony said. “When will he return?”
The creature within my pocket called out and up my shirt, remaining concealed behind the jacket.
“It will be at least a few weeks,” Kay said. “He's gone to the states, to collect something.”
“The disappearances?” Tony whispered to me.
“Maybe,” I whispered back.
The creature crawled up my neck and around to the back of my head. Kay seemed to notice it, and smiled. He then uttered a clusterfuck of seemingly random syllables. But what I heard in the back of my head was “You do not need to be so paranoid. I mean to help you. You can trust me.”
“You know,” I said, the words escaping my lips in the same alien language he had spoken in. “Learning that you speak fluent Veratian makes me trust you slightly less.”
The creature, called Demetri (odd coincidence, that it's the same as the guy we're after), is a shoggoth. An artificial being creature through a complex ritual. Aside from all the alternate universes and Fear domains that exist, reality also has layers. Ours is layer 1, but there's other layers beside that. Demetri, while in contact with me, allows me to speak in and understand languages that originate from a specific one of those layers. The language we were speaking, Veratian, belongs to a place in that layer called Veratis Kalohella, a place I've been to once, and have some nasty memories of. And the Veratian tongue isn't a language that normal people learn.
“I assure you,” Kay said, still in Veratian. “I Can offer you food and lodging as you await Monroe's return.”
I looked at Tony.
“He says we can trust him,” I said. “I'm not too sure.”
“Anything else?” Tony asked.
“He's offering food and a place to stay,” I said.
Tony briefly looked down at his stomach.
“Wanna risk it?” he asked.
“Fine,” I said, turning back to Kay. “But I've got my eye on you.”
“Very well,” Kay said, in English this time. “Follow me.”
Before we went with him, I set Demetri on the ground outside the house.
“Spy for me,” I told him. He nodded and went to hide in the bushes.
Kay brought us to his house, a couple blocks away. It seems normal, I guess. Aside from corner table covered in framed pictures of various people. I'm gonna have to ask about that later. Right now, I need a shower. I'll talk to you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment