Monday, April 27, 2015

Adon

I encountered another of the Apostles today. A man with golden hair and eyes, with a wavy sword across his back. The one Daniel had met. Their leader. I drew my sword upon seeing him and took a stance.
“So you're the paradox,” he said. “You're not quite as hideous as what Nick described to me.”
“Shut up!” I demanded.
“I do not take orders from you,” he said calmly. He reached for his sword, and took a stance across from me.
I raised my sword to my lips and whispered to it. “Blade of darkness, deliver mercy to the wicked.”
To my surprise, he did the same. And as he did, I could the meaning behind his words. The same meaning I put into mine.
“You carry a Mercygiver,” I stated.
“Correct,” he replied. “Gaudeamus.”
“You've named it?” I asked.
“The sword cannot affect me,” he said. “So I see no harm in giving it a title. No matter how strong its bond becomes to this body, it will never claim me.”
“I wouldn't take the chance either way,” I said. “Mine remains nameless.”
“I see,” he said. “Shall we, then?”
“Yes,” I replied. “Let's.”
We began fighting. As far as swordplay was concerned, we seemed to be evenly matched. He was just as fast. Just as skilled. Just as aggressive. But he didn't have my powers And when I started to use them, I was able to get an edge. After several minute, I got an opening. I pierced the tip of my sword through his heart, then withdrew and stabbed him in the throat as well. For a few moments, I thought I had won. But that short moment of confidence was my downfall. I got cocky, and wasn't expecting him to strike back as hard as he did He kicked me, hard, and I was sent flying backwards. I looked up at him, only to see a red light covering his body, and his wounds closed up. I rushed him again, putting everything I had into it. I stabbed him again and again, but each time he simply shrugged it off and counter attacked. I grew tired, and he seized me by the throat. He looked me dead in the eyes and smiled, before slamming my face into the concrete. I lay there, dazed for a few moment. I heard his footsteps moving away from me, and I looked up. He was leaving.
“You're not going to finish this? “I demanded.
“No need, “he said. “You've already proved to me that you're not a threat.”
“Why you-!” I snapped, but before I could finish, my head was slammed against the sidewalk again, and this time, he held it there.
“Oh, I almost forgot,” he said. “What can you tell me about Daniel's lovely little sword?”
“Wh-what?” I said.
“The short Japanese blade, “he said “What can you tell me about it? And why did you not have your own?”
“That's none of your business!” I spat.
“I'm sure its not,” he said, standing up. “Anyway, I think you should have this.”
He dropped an old, wooden button on the ground next to my face. I could feel that it was one of the items that Marshall and I had been looking for.
“Where did you get that?” I asked
“Oh, it was just lying around,” he said. “More importantly, are you aware of what it is?”
I got up onto my knees and picked it up carefully.
“That item is a prison,” he said. “For a soul my master didn't want.”
“What?” I asked. “Why-?”
“-Would the Ace Of Chaos have you looking for them?” he interrupted. “One can only guess. Who knows why's he's interested in those he's slain.”
I stared blankly at him for a moment. He chuckled and raised a hand into the air. A portal of blackness opened before him.
“I'll leave you to yourself now,” he said.
“Get back here!” I demanded, charging at him.
I stabbed my sword into his back a few times, and he turned back to me. Our swords clashed, as his wounds once again vanished. Both our swords suddenly began emitting a black aura. Well, that's new.
“Fascinating,” he said.
“You got an explanation for this?” I asked.
“I don't understand Mercygivers any more than you do,” he replied.
Suddenly, another man, who I recognized as that asshole Nick, appeared through a portal.
“Boss, what the hell are you-!” he began, then he saw me, and silenced himself. Before I knew it, he had knocked the sword from my hand and elbowed me hard in the shoulder, shattering my collar-bone.
“Leave him, Nick,” my opponent said. “Let us be off.
“Next time,” Nick said, glaring down at me, “I end this.”
I glared back up at them as they both began stepping through the portal.
“Oh, and Nick,” the boss said, before they vanished entirely.
“What?” Nck replied.
The boss turned back to look at me.
“I want my body to be faster than him,” he said. “Make it happen.”
Nick sighed.
“I'll see what I can do,” he said.
Then they were gone, leaving me with a bunch of new questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment