Monday, June 22, 2015

Getting Lucky

Daniel and I have spent the last few days looking after Dyson. While one of us is out patrolling, the other one is sitting with him, treating his wounds and keeping him fed. We've been talking with him about Nox and Dawson's presence in Toronto. He's been looking into them as well, but his magic training has been cutting into his snooping time a bit. But he has figured out that they're working on something big. Probably several somethings. Unfortunately, he doesn't know where they've relocated to.
“I may be able to find out, though,” he said yesterday, over ramen. I was sitting down with him while Daniel had left, and our conversation had come back around to Dawson's location.
“Really?” I asked. “How?”
His gaze drifted to a symbol on the wall.
“I can always ask,” he said.
The symbol was of a large eye in the center of a vortex, with a large pupil and no iris. The symbol of the Vision.
“You mean her, right?” I asked.
“I am no longer her Scion, but I will always be her servant,” he said.
“How is she?” I asked. “She still, you know, exists, right?
“She is in pain,” he replied. “Whatever's corrupted the Streams is damaging her I don't know how long she can last.”
“But what's causing it?” I asked.
“She won't say,” he said. “Listen, it will take me a while to contact her, and I'll need to be alone when I do it.”
“Daniel and I can't wait around forever,” I said. “We'll need to take off soon. Can I get your phone number for when you get an answer?”
“Don't have one,” he said, allowing some mana to dance along his fingertips. “Those things tend to glitch out around me.”
“So how do we keep in touch?” I asked.
“When I figure out where they've gone,” he said, “I'll find you.”
We sat in silence for a while and finished our food. Then Daniel showed up, limping slightly with blood dripping from his left arm.
“Holy shit!” I exclaimed.
“Hey, Dyson,” Daniel said, grinning broadly. “Can I get a heal?”
Shit. His sanity was slipping. Again. This has happened several times since he lost his powers. It's downright terrifying. I don't like him when he's like this. He's completely unpredictable.
“What happened?” Dyson asked, running over to heal Daniel's new injuries.
“Timberwolves,” Daniel said. “Got in a fight with a couple of them.”
He then locked eyes with me, grinning broadly.
“And I think some of the Apostles are here, too,” he said.
They'd found us. They were here.
“Damn it,” Dyson said. “You two had better hide out here until-”
“Dyson,” I said, interrupting him. I tried to keep a calm tone as I spoke. “Finish healing him. Then we're going to go face them.”
“What!?” Dyson snapped. “Are you crazy?”
“I don't know,” Daniel said. “Do I look crazy?” Then he started laughing like the goddamn Joker.
“There's no avoiding them,” I said. “This needs to happen.”
“You are crazy,” Dyson said. He had finished healing Daniel, who was now standing straight and raring to go.
“Wait here, Dyson,” I said. “We'll be fine.”
Daniel and I left, and stood out in the street. Daniel drew his sword, which burst into flames. People on the streets stopped and stared at him in confusion and horror.
“Hey! Apostles!” He called out. I'm here! Let's go! Come one!”
He then drew his gun and started firing it into the air. The people started panicking and fled, getting as far away from us as possible.
“Daniel, stop,” I said. “You're scaring the Canadians.”
He wasn't listening. He was looking at something down the street. I followed his gaze and saw them approaching. Two of them. A man and a woman. The man had on a beige suit, and had golden hair. There was a large sword across his back. The woman was a brunette, and carried a pair of Chinese broadswords. Apostles.
They stopped a few yards from us. The streets were now empty apart from the four of us. The man spoke first.
“Hello, Daniel,” he said “And Tony, I presume?”
“Here to try and kill me?” Daniel asked.
“Aprrehend, actually,” the man said.
“Well that's a switch,” Daniel said. “Wanna research me a bit before you shove a knife through my heart?”
“Something like that,” the woman said.
I stepped forward, grasping my bokken tightly.
“I won't let that happen,” I said.
“You are more courageous than I gave you credit for,” the man said. “Lasciel, if you would.”
The woman rushed past me before I could stop and attacked Daniel. Of course, we were both expected that, and he was able to get his guard up just in time. The two of them began fighting savagely. If I tried jumping in, I'd definitely get hurt.
“Well, I guess they're fighting now,” I said.
“Are you not going to help him?” the man asked.
“He'll be fine,” I said. “I think he can hold his own against her, at least for now. You, on the other hand...”
I turned and faced the man fully, and let my bokken rest on my shoulder.
“You must be Adon,” I said. “The leader.”
“That's right,” he said. “And the woman your friend is fighting is Lasciel.”
“I kind of guessed that,” I said.
I turned slightly to get a look at them. They were still really intense, and they didn't show any signs of slowing down yet.
“Daniel believes that the key to winning any fight is to be more aggressive then the other guy,” I said.
“And what's your opinion on that subject?” Adon asked.
“I think he has a point,” I said. “But there's other factors to take into account. Like power, skill, or luck.”
“Correct,” Adon said.
“I know you're tough,” I said. “You can hold your own against ParaDan, so you've obviously got me beat as far as power and skill go.”
“Exactly, “Adon said. “So a smart man like you should know better then to oppose me.”
I smiled at him and took up a fighting stance.
“Let's see if I can get lucky,” I said.
“That's the spirit,” he said.
He came at me, unarmed, and I evaded his first attack. We began fighting. He didn't use his sword at all, and I could tell that he was holding back. Worked for me. I deflected or dodged all of his attacks, and managed to get some hits in. They were light attacks, though, so he shrugged them off.
It was only a little way into our fight that Lasciel let out a loud and sudden shriek of pain. Adon's attention on me wavered, just for a second, but it was all I needed. It was time to get aggressive. I swung my bokken fast and hard, hitting him anywhere I could find an opening. His collar bones, elbows, floating ribs, knees, temples, etc. I could hear his bones breaking, but he didn't respond. Not a single grunt, or gasp, or cry of pain came from him as he went down. He hit the ground, and I stepped back.
I turned to check on Daniel's fight. He had gotten a hit in on Lasciel, leaving a bloody wound on her forearm, but she had since gained the upper hand. They were both disarmed now, and he had him by the scruff of the neck.
“You put up a hell of a fight,” she told him grinning. “I actually enjoyed myself a bit. But it's over now. You're coming with us.”
A red light began enveloping Adon's body. He was healing. Crap.
“You think you guys can hold me?” Daniel asked.
“You can't escape us, handsome,” she said.
“Handsome?” he asked her.
“Up close, you are kind of cute,” she admitted.
Then she pulled him closer and planted a kiss right on his lips.
“Wow,” I said, gawking.
“Yes,” Adon said, also gawking. “Wow.”
She parted from him, and he laughed.
“You know what's funny?” he asked.
“What?” she demanded.
“You still think I'm disarmed,” he said.
His sword reappeared in his hand, and he smashed the end of it's hilt into her temple. She released him gripped and stepped back, clutching her head where he had hit. She growled angrily and took up a fighting stance. But before the fight could continue, the sound of sirens began approaching.
“See what you did, Daniel?” I asked. “Now the Canadian police are on their way.”
“Took them a while,” Daniel commented.
“Lasciel!” Adon snapped. “Retreat!”
“But-,” she said.
“Now!” he demanded.
They both vanished.
“Guess they don't wanna deal with the authorities,” Daniel said.
“And neither do we,” I replied.
“Hey!” Dyson called, from the doorway of his hideout. “In here! Quick!”
We ran back into his underground base, behind the fake wall.
“They'll probably investigate this building,” Dyson said. “But they won't find us behind this illusion. You can hideout here for now, but you'll need to leave once the heat dies down.”
“Okay,” I said. “Fine with me.”
“I hope you two are happy with yourselves,” Dyson said. “Creating a ruckus like that.”
“Are you kidding?” Daniel asked. “That went WAY better than I was expecting.”
“Why, because you made out with a hot evil chick?” Dyson asked.
“Yes,” Daniel said “That's exactly why.”
“Seraph's gonna be pissed,” I said.
“I'll explain things to her,” Daniel said. “I'm sure she'll understand.

-Tony Helioson, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment