Monday, June 1, 2015

The Jack Of All

So, Tony and I managed to find the right museum and went there on schedule. We had the Blood Vessel wait a few blocks away, just in case.
“So I assume you can hear us, right Jack?” I asked.
“Of course,” Jack said, appearring a short distance away. His right hand was hidden in the pocket of his long coat. He looked almost exactly like I remember him. Young, about our age, with shoulder length, straight black hair. Around his neck, he wore a pendant of an eye, with a red X through its pupil. He also wore a fedora atop his head.
The biggest difference I saw were his eyes. Instead of being brown, like I had always seen them before, they were red. They also lacked pupils. Just big crimson circles in a sea of white.
“How's it going?” I asked him.
“Can't complain,” he said. “You?”
“Meh,” I said.
“So why is Isiore working for you?” Tony asked.
“She is in my debt,” Jack said. “Simple as that.”
“What does she owe you for?” I asked.
“Her beloved sister, of course,” Jack said. “It's because of me she escaped from Hell.”
“You sure about that?” I asked. “Because as I understand it, that was Ben's doing.”
“Yes,” Jack said. “But how do you think Malkator found him self in the right place at the right time?”
I stopped and thought about that for a moment.
“You're the one you closed the portal and trapped Ben there,” I said. “And you set up his meeting with Keursio...”
“And youhad something to do with the Vision being there too,” Tony said.
“Do your work right,” Jack said, “And no one will no you did anything at all.”
“So Isiore owes you for that,” I said. “So why did you send her to kill me? I take it you don't want me around any more?”
Jack stroked his chin with his left hand.
“It's a bit more complicated then that,” he said. “I don't need you running around making things harder for me, but depending on HOW you die, things could grow more complicated still. So, I've decided to make a bit of a game out of it. See how it plays out.”
“I see,” I said. “So, am I safe now?”
“I suppose, for the time being,” he said. “You're not worried?”
“What's one more eldritch super-being added to the list of things trying to kill me?” I asked.
“I see,” Jack asked. “So, what else is on your mind?”
“The wound on your hand,” I said. “How'd you get it?”
“That information,” he said, clenching his fist inside his pocket, “Is not for sale.”
“All right, then,” I said.
Then Tony stepped forward.
“I'd like to negotiate for Isiore's freedom,” he said.
“Tony?” I asked.
“Trust me,” Tony said, turning back to me. “I know what I'm doing.”
“Do you now?” Jack asked, grinning
“I'd like to absolve her debt for her,” Tony said. “Let her go, and pass it on to me.”
“Are you sure you wanna do that?” Jack asked.
“Do we have a deal?” Tony asked.
“Hmmm...,” Jack muttered. “Perhaps your brains may serve me a bit better then her brawn.. Oh, what the hell! It's a deal!”
With that, Jack appeared directly before us, and pulled his hand out of his pocket. In the past, it had always seemed deeply sunburned, but now it looked dark, blood red. And then there was that cut. It looked a lot more horrifying then it used to. He extending his hand toward Tony, who looked at it for a moment before speaking again.
“I have some conditions,” he said.
Jack curled his fingers slightly.
“Oh?” He asked.
“I won't kill anyone,” Tony said.
Jack nodded hesitantly.
“And no brainwashing me,” Tony continued.
Jack nodded again
“And I won't let you turn me against my friends.”
This went on for about five minutes. Just Tony listing a bunch of things that Jack could and couldn't do. For some things, Jack gave a slight nod. Sometimes he didn't react at all, and sometimes, he noticeably grimaced. Finally, Tony finished.
“Those are my conditions,” he said.
Jack thought for a long moment.
“You're really twisting my arm here,” he said. “But, I think I can still make this work.”
The two of them then shook hands. Jack then snapped the fingers of his right hand, and Isiore appeared there.
“You are absolved of all your debts,” Jack said, putting his hand back in its pocket. “This man has taken them from you. You are free to go.”
“What?” Isiore asked.
“I'll explain later,” I told her.
“So,” Jack said. “You have two questions weighing on your mind right now, don't you Daniel?”
“More then that,” I said. “But knowing you, I should setting for the small ones.”
“Ask away,” Jack said.
“Do you know anything about Burner?” I asked him.
“A couple things, but that knowledge will not come cheap,” Jack replied.
“Then I won't bother with it,” I said. “As for my next question, what can you tell me about the Bleeding Crest?”
“It will cost you a favor,” Jack said.
“What did you have in mind?” I asked.
Jack handed me a picture of a man with writing on the back of it.
“Disable this man,” Jack said. “Kill him, or at the very least thoroughly incapacitate him.”
“Why?” I asked.
“He is the harbinger of an evil force,” Jack said. “It makes the Sentinal look utterly miserable by comparison.”
“I'll see what I can do,” I said, a little worried. “Now, about the Bleeding Crest?”
“Page 104 of that Italian book you have contains the name of a former location of the Bleeding Crest,” he said. “That will give you a place to start.”
“Well,” I guess that's something,” I said.
“Well, I must be off now,” Jack said, turning back to Tony. “I'll see you when I come up with something for you to do.”
And with that, he vanished.
“You know,” I said, “Even with all those limits you set, he's still gonna find a way to screw you over.”
“I know,” Tony said, smiling. “I'm counting on it.”
I got chills. I have no idea what's going through Tony's mind, and I'm not sure I want to.
We then explained everything to Isiore. Then I examined the picture, and the writing on it. There was a name and an address, in the UK. As soon as I saw the name, I turned back to the picture and stared at it in horror.
“Oh God,” I said. “I can see the resemblance.”
“What's that?” Tony asked.
“This man,” I said, showing him the picture, “Is Demitri Monroe.”
Tony's eyes widen at that.
“Azail said that someone else was calling up the Daemon Lords,” he said. “You don't suppose...”
He didn't say anymore. We both knew the truth. This man, that Jack's assigned me to deal with, the the father of the Bloody Biker.

No comments:

Post a Comment