Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Backer

“You sure this is the place?” I asked Isiore.
“This is where Dawson and Nox set up base while they were here,” she confrimed.
“Guess they moved,” Tony said.
It seemed he was right. The warehouse we had come to in Vancouver was abandoned. Completely empty.
“So, back to square one?” Lana asked. For the record, Lana is the alias our Blood Vessel friend is currently using.
“Well, not quite,” I said. “I know a guy. We'll see about meeting with him soon.”
“In the mean time,” Tony said, turning to Isiore, “You should get back to Keursio.”
“Yeah,” I said. “Thanks for helping us find this place, but Key's worried about you.”
“I can't yet,” Isiore insisted. “I owe you. I can't possibly-”
“Isiore!” I cut her off, turning to her sternly. “That's all well and good, but you can pay Tony back later. Your sister needs you NOW.”
She stopped for a moment before speaking again.
“I understand,” she said. “Thank you.”
She turned away from me and tore open a rift into what I assume is the Empty City.
“I still don't understand how you do that,” I said.
“It's complicated,” she said.
Suddenly, a loud voice spoke up above all of us.
“Well, well,” came the familiar tone. “What have we here?”
Isiore spun around and looked up, with an expression of both fear and anger upon her face.
“Backer!” she snapped.
“Oh shit...,” Lana muttered.
“Nice to see you too, Fountainborn,” said the Backer's dissembodied voice. “And you brought the detective and the Ex-Devil Killer along. And look! A whore!”
Lana cursed under her breath at that statement.
“Um, Daniel?” Tony asked. “Doesn't he sound like-”
“Either it's a coincidence, or he's fucking with us,” I said.
“And what if it's neither of those things?” Tony asked.
“We'll worry about it later,” I said.
“I think I'm gonna worry about it now,” Tony replied.
“So,” the Backer said. “What brings you all around here? You aren't snooping, are you?”
“So what if we are?” I asked.
“That would be awfully naughty of you,” he said. “Not that it matters. William and Angelo have already moved on.”
“I don't suppose you'd tell us where to?” I asked.
“Do you honestly think I'd sell out my investments to you?” he asked.
I shrugged.
“Honestly, I don't know why you'd bother funding someone like Dawson,” I said.
“Oh, he's not all bad,” the Backer said. “His and Angelo's research could prove very useful to me. And besides, I have more money then I know what to do with. Why not throw a little of it their way?”
“Money that doesn't belong to you,” Tony said.
“Oh, so you've been doing your homework?” the Backer asked.
“15 bank robberies in five states,” Tony said. “With the cameras disabled each time. And that's just this month.”
“Oh, is that all you've pieced together?” the Backer asked.
Tony growled at him.
“Why!?” he demanded.
“OH, like you wouldn't rob a bank or two if you could get away with it,” the Back said.
“No, I wouldn't!” Tony snapped.
“Heh heh,” the Backer said. “If you say so.”
“So, who are you?” I asked. “And what's your deal?”
“I have no intention of telling you anything about me,” the Backer said. “To be perfectly honest...”
I felt him behind me a split second later. His face was right beside mine, with his mouth hovering next to my ear.
“...I hate you,” he whispered, in a spine chilling tone.
I drew my wakizashi, igniting it as I did, and spn around, shouting “Join the club!” as I swung the blade through the air. But he was gone before my sword had fully left its sheath.
“I would,” his voice spoke a few second later, “But they have enough members already.”
“Master,” I heard Burner say to me. He materialized beside me. “We have faced this adversary before.”
“What?” I asked.
“Not as he is now, but there is no doubt that we have clashed.”
“Ah, yes,” the Backer said. “The spirit of the sword. Burner, correct?”
“You can see him?” I asked.
“I'm afraid I'm out of time,” the Backer said. “We'll meet again soon, Daniel Ferris. Until then...”
His voice trailed off into silence.
“He had left,” Burner informed me.
“Good,” I said, sheathing my sword. “I was getting sick of him.”
Isiore looked worried.
“You guys be careful,” she said. “The backer... he's...”
“I know,” I said. “He's not someone we wanna take lightly.”
“Right,” she said, stepping through her portal. “Be careful.”
The rift closed, leaving the rest of us alone.
“I don't get it,” Tony said. “His voice...”
“Forget about it for now,” I said. “We've got other things to worry about.”
“You sure?” he asked.
“Don't worry,” I said. “We'll get to the bottom of him when we can.”
“So, where to now?” Lana asked.
“Let's get back to the hotel,” I said. “Tony and I are going out tomorrow. Alone.”
“What?” Lana asked smugly. “No girl's aloud?”
“Pardon me if I still don't trust you,” I said. “But we'll need to meet with our contact without you.”
“So who is this super-duper mystery man?” Lana asked.
“Yeah,” Tony asked. “Who do we know in Vancouver?”
“Oh, that's easy,” I said. “Dyson Malrick.”

No comments:

Post a Comment